What We Stand For
Here at Chunky we want to do what's best by our artists, our customers, our staff and the environment.
As a start up business we try our best, but we're not perfect - there are still a lot of areas where we can improve. This page serves to communicate what we do now, but also the things that we don't do yet, or maybe don't know yet. As we grow we will update this page so that we increase the list of things we do well and reduce the number of things that we can do or improve on.
Here's the things we are already doing that we are proud of:
- We pay our artists well for their services. Artists seem to always be asked to do something for nothing, so we are trying to go the other direction. As of November 2019 we have paid out around NZ$100,000 to our artists.
- We pay our staff the New Zealand Living Wage as a minimum. Staff are encouraged to work whatever hours, days and times of day that suits them.
- We have introduced our Bottle Recycling Initiative. While we are trying to stop the use of single use bottles we also need to ensure our own product can be recycled. We want to be a part of the move towards a circular economy, which is aimed at eliminating waste and the continual use of resources.
- We support local schools and other organisations through donations of our products.
Here are some things we don't do yet, but want to:
- Whilst re have a good relationship with our manufacturing partners in China we are yet to visit their facilities. This is a priority for us in 2020. We wish to ensure that the suppliers we are dealing with have ethical manufacturing processes and working conditions.
Here are some things we want to get a better understanding of:
- We would like to get a fuller picture of the overall benefits to the environment of our Bottle Recycling Initiative. We think it is of overall benefit to our environment but we feel we need to study the impact of the resources that are used during the process, including the impact of courier vans collecting the used bottles from our participating retailers. We do wait until our retailers have 6 for collection before we pick up which means less courier trips and the re-use of our 6 bottle cardboard cartons.