The Chunky Loan Cup System
The Chunky Loan Cup
We are on a mission to reduce throwaway cups sent to landfill. While many of us try to do the right thing, it can be easy to forget to take your own cup out with us all the time. The Chunky Loan Cup system is a not-for-profit initiative that supports cafés with free membership. It’s an effort to reduce the amount of waste caused by the use of single use coffee cups.
HOW IT WORKS FOR CUSTOMERS
If you forgot your own cup just borrow one of ours! Pay the participating café $10 as a refundable deposit for the use of the loan cup.
You can then choose to bring the cup back to be used for your next coffee or swap it for a clean one. Alternatively, you can bring back the cup in return for their deposit.
The cups can be returned to any participating café, not just the café it came from, and we also have return points at KAPA at Queenstown Airport and Mooch in Frankton.
Use the map at the bottom on this page to to find a return point *make sure you select the "Chunky Loan Cup available here" box.
HOW IT WORKS FOR CAFE'S
Customers pay your café $10 as a refundable deposit for the use of the Loan Cup. You can choose if you want to offer them any discount on the cost of the coffee. The customer can either bring the clean cup back to be used for their next coffee or if they have a dirty cup they can swap it for a clean one. The customer can also choose to bring their cup back for the return of their deposit.
WHAT IS IT?
The Chunky Loan Cup is a double walled, stainless steel cup with an acrylic lid designed for easy dishwasher cleaning.
WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT THE CUP?
• Stainless steel, double-walled cup keeps drinks—not fingers—piping hot
• No need for cardboard sleeves
• Sumptuous 3mm drinking edge for a better coffee-drinking experience (and to keep the barista happy)
• Pretty much Hulk-proof. These are tough cups. The lid could, on very rare occasions, break, but we have spares and can recycle broken ones
• Dishwasher safe
• Open drinking hole in the lid, so there are no odour-causing, flavour-impacting
particles getting stuck in nooks and crannies. Gross.
• Full end-of-life recycling by Chunky. We mean this, no BS. You can read more
about our Bottle Recycling Initiative here
THE ONLY DISADVANTAGES THAT WE CAN THINK OF
• Returned cups will take up dishwasher space
• Space is required to store the cups, and also counter space to show sample cups and the counter stand
Are you a café and want to know more? Download the information here or contact Sofi at email@example.com